Welcome!

With washing waiting to be folded and cereal in our hair we share our roller coaster lives to inspire, relate and communicate with Mums just like us.

All things family related food, recipes, reviews, gardening, crafts, educational play, home things, outings and more.

Hi! We're in the process of moving over to our new site. You can find our content here for now or check out the old and the brand NEW at www.mumstakefive.com


Sunday, October 7, 2012

Semi-Dried Tomatoes - Oven & Dehydrator Recipe



So many people have asked me for this recipe - I love it thanks 

Please let me know if you do give it a go 

Use good firm fresh tomatoes.

OVEN:
You need a baking tray with a wire cooling rack on it. You can use the racks in your oven pending on how wide the bars are remember the tomato will shrink up so it may fall through the gap, place a tray underneath.
*  Pre heat your oven to 140 Celsius with the fan on.
*  Slice your tomatoes about 2mm thick  if you are using Roma's slice them length ways.
*  Lay them on the cooling rack don't over lap any.  You can place Basil, Oregano or Tarragon leaves with them and you can Salt & Pepper if you wish (i usually add the tomatoes to a dish that has S&P so I don't do it here)
*  Put tomatoes in the oven. Pending on your oven will take about 3hrs you want them shrivelled but not completely dried, still a little juicy in middle.
*  Wait till they have completely cooled and store in really clean (sterilise if you can) airtight jar. Top up with Olive Oil and dried herbs.
*  Keep in the fridge. I usually throw out after about three weeks.



This is how I do mine now.  I wanted a dehydrator for ages but couldn't justify the $100+ on another kitchen gadget then I found one on sale one day for $40 and its been excellent I am using it all the time.

DEHYDRATOR:
*  Slice tomatoes about 2mm thick and place evenly no overlapping on the trays.
*  You can Salt & Pepper the tomatoes if you wish (i usually add the tomatoes to a dish that has S&P so I don't do it here)
*  You can add Basil, Oregano or Tarragon leaves to the trays too.
*  Set temperature to 70 degrees Celsius and leave for about 12hrs.
*  You want dried shrivelled tomatoes but still a little juicy in middle.
*  Store in really clean (sterilise if you can) airtight jar. Top up with Olive Oil and dried herbs.
*  Keep in the fridge. I usually throw out after about three weeks.


 Happy Cooking x




6 comments:

  1. Thank you I am going to try this once my tomatoes grow .
    Yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Thanks so much for sharing and for letting me know :) Can't wait to give it a go. Do you think you could do it with halved one too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caz, you could do it with a halved tomato but depending on its size it might take hours and hours and you may end up with shrivelled on the outside still normal on the inside. I'd probably quarter it at least. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really recommend the dehydrator??

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know Ann i am suprised how often i use it. I only really wanted it to make dehydrated orange slices that you dip in chocolate (so good i could eat kilos of them) and they're all about $100 and i'm not spending that on one. then one day i was walking past homeart or copperart forget what its called and they were $40 and its been great. pineapples are fantastic, tomatoes as above are great. i've been drying herbs and potatoes are just like chips - but without all the fat. i'm really happy with it.
    Do you have one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No but a certain person likes to make disgusting jerky and i refuse to have it in my oven anymore!! I would love to do dried fruits etc I am sick of buying prepack snacks. I may just have to try the oranges too!! I saw one for about $40 from aldi. I am heading there on the weekend so will add it to my list!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and to comment.
We really appreciate your time!
Thanks