Welcome!

With washing waiting to be folded and cereal in our hair we share our roller coaster lives to inspire, relate and communicate with Mums just like us.

All things family related food, recipes, reviews, gardening, crafts, educational play, home things, outings and more.

Hi! We're in the process of moving over to our new site. You can find our content here for now or check out the old and the brand NEW at www.mumstakefive.com


Friday, November 30, 2012

Blueberry Custard Loaf - Quick & Easy Recipe


Written by :Bel
  At Christmas i always end up making a couple of these.  They can be made ahead about a week. pending on your tin they don't take up a lot of room in the freezer and only use a few ingredients. 
I've made it many a time and can happily recommend as a quick, easy and enjoyable dessert.


I think the recipe was originally in the Coles Magazine from 2010. 

Ingredients
250g Savoiardi Finger Biscuits

2Tbs Orange juice
500g Premium Style Custard
300ml Thickened Cream whipped
250g Blueberries 

Method 
Line an 11cm x 24cm loaf pan with baking paper allowing a good overhang on long edges.



Arrange the sponge fingers crossways over the base of loaf pan. Drizzle over the orange juice.







Gently combine the cream and custard. Pour half mixture over the sponge fingers.

Scatter over half the blueberries (or whatever berries).


Top with another layer of sponge fingers

Pour over rest over custard mixture and top with rest of berries.




Cover with foil.

Place in freezer at least four hours (overnight) to set.

Remove from freezer ten mins before serving.

Use baking paper to lift out of tin. Cut into slices and serve.







My amendments


I use smaller tins.  In fact i like to put it in one of my plastic containers with a lid so its well protected. 


This recipe gives me two desserts. 



I forgot to whip the cream once and now i dont bother at all its fine without whipping.

I have to trim the ends off the sponge fingers to fit in these tins.


I use frozen berries instead of or as well as fresh berries.  
I also use mixed berries rather than just Blueberries.

My small tin isnt deep enough for another layer of sponge fingers so i use all the ends i trimmed off. 

Can be made ahead a week.

Can use brandy in the base layer of sponge.












4 comments:

  1. I love the look of this. It looks easy and I bet it is tasty! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! Would this travel ok? It might be goodfor my "take a plate" but it would be in the car for about half an hour?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and to comment.
We really appreciate your time!
Thanks